Pages

Topics

Monday, February 28, 2011

Protein booster help needed

I talked to Dr. D last week about protein level and it appears that I am not getting enough. I started adding Ultra Meal between bigger meals to boost the protein level but my stomach does not like it. If I am lactose intolerant, will I also not process whey products well? I made a smoothie using 50% hemp protein this morning and I have no problem with hemp. Do I just need to add more smaller meals and make sure I have meat protein with them (I really don't like eggs, so hard boiled eggs will not be a staple)? What about lentils and beans (adzuki, etc.)?

1 comment:

Family Health Chiropractic said...

The first protein powder to look for is Whey Protein Isolate. Isolate being the key word. Any whey powder that contains Whey Protein Isolate as the only protein source, will be nearly lactose free.

Another thing to look for is the sugars. If the product has 0 grams of sugar, that means lactose free, as lactose is a sugar. Besides keeping lactose intolerant people from getting sick, Whey Protein Isolate is the easiest whey form for the body to break down and use in the muscles.

A 6-oz. serving of salmon provides 34g of protein and the same size serving of steak provides 38g of protein.

Also consider increasing your nuts (not peanuts) and beans.